Thursday, June 08, 2006

I'm Upside Down!

The past year of my life has been a continuous flurry of activity. May, in particular, was a complete whirlwind. The minute I was handed my diploma for completing Coro FPPA on May 12, I ran out the door and high-tailed it to the airport to catch my flight to Boston for MillyFest. I played some Ultimate, caught up with some friends, admired the new Wang campus center, and then flew back to Pittsburgh to finish packing up for my move across oceans and continents.

Within two days I was back on the airplane, and after 22 hours of bad airplane food and sleeping sitting upright, I landed here. I was in Australia. A place where people drive on the left side of the road, the moon is upside down, and the water swishes counter-clockwise down the drain. I saw constellations in the sky that I had never seen before such as the Southern Cross. And the days are short now because it's winter - in May!

In the first few days, especially with the jet lag, I felt like I was living in the twilight zone, and that I was six years old again. Indhu and I would struggle to stay up past 8pm and we'd be awake at 5am. During those early morning hours, I'd lie in bed and wonder how the heck I got here. If a year ago today you had told me that I was going to move to Pittsburgh, I would have laughed in your face. And if six months ago you told me that I was going to move to Australia, I would have called you crazy. So now, anyone can tell me anything and I wouldn't know what to think except maybe, "Sure, why not?"

Anything can happen.

3 comments:

puppy chang said...

Ok, so I must confess that I haven't actually witnessed the counter-clockwise water swishing phenomenon. I can't tell from how the water drains just by looking because the sink holes here are too big for the water to create a swirling effect (I hope my usage of very technical terms isn't befuddling anyone).

I've heard conflicting stories about whether this is in fact true. If anyone can post a link to a reliable source to settle this issue, I'd appreciate it!

Lesley said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

and

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

Basically, it says that the Coriolis effect is extremely hard to detect in things like draining sinks, because other external forces (the shape of the sink, any movement added to the water while washing, etc.) play a much larger role.

puppy chang said...

Thanks for the post, Lesley. Interesting read.