Saturday, October 20, 2007

Boo, the Working Stiff

Note the new title of my blog. I'm not bitter. Really.

Because what I am now is a productive member of society and that is because I sit at a desk in my respectable business clothes in a windowless office for nine consecutive hours a day from Monday through Friday and chat on Gmail.

Aside from the intermittent online socializing throughout the day, I do actually work. During my first week, I spent most of it completing several mandatory on-line trainings that included a 2.5 hour sexual harassment awareness training (I almost left out the "harassment" part when I wrote that) and attending meetings. But since then I've been assigned a few projects to keep me busy. My tasks include designing name tags and binder covers, ordering supplies, drafting up work plan documents, and doing online research on emerging lighting technologies. So far this job feels like a glorified internship; I've done similar work in the past as an intern but now I get paid a lot more for it! Hey, I ain't complaining.

The people in the office seem friendly enough, the ones that don't turn their head away and avert eye contact as you pass them in the hall are anyway. I suspect my officemate is a workaholic (even though he adamantly denies it) like many others in this office. People are there when I show up at 9 and they're still at their desks when I head out the door at 6 or later. The other day I asked a couple of my co-workers if they ever leave their offices or if they have a cot and sleeping bag tucked away under their desks. They just laughed and said I'd get used to it. I think I'm in a lot of trouble.

No comments: