Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Bicycle Thief Rides Again

To break up the monotony of the multi-part series about my past life as a service volunteer in the South, I have invited former - and perhaps soon to be regular - guest blogger, Grandma D, to share another titillating story with y'all. Enjoy!

=======================================================

My tale of failed bicycle thievery was so enthralling, that I’ve been asked to do another guest blog. While seemingly unrelated, both entries reveal unpredicted perils of my seemingly safe job as a grad student. Below are the contents of an email I received last week. I have removed any identifying information.

Subject: IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Hi Grandma D,

I might be having the wrong Grandma D so disregard this if it does not pertain to you. A woman to what I believe said she lives in (state). She called early today to ask if we had a Grandma D who was associated with (Grandma D's academic program) here at (Grandma D's University). Of course no information was revealed to her but she informed us of the following: Her name was (her name) and that you (supposedly) were spreading rumors about her that she was a child molester and other hurtful things. Also that her computer was being hacked and that she was being billed for many things she did not purchase or use. She then stated that she was also a scientist so she knew that there were RF waves or MRI wave being sent through to her apartment to conduct a potential experiment which was giving her a head ache. She says she has bought equipment to test to see if her thoughts were true which she said that she was. She informed me that she has informed the police and the FBI. I was just letting you know the conversation so once again if this information does not pertain to you please disregard.

Thank you for your time,
(third name)
Office Assistant
(another academic program)

--END--

According to a prominent psychiatrist, this is probably nothing to worry about unless she contacts me directly.

No comments: